Amakusa islands in Kumamoto are blessed with wonderful nature and beautiful landscape.
When you step into Sakitsu village of Amakusa, you will find the historical footprint of Hidden Christians.
Sakitsu was decided to be listed at UNESCO World Cultural Heritage in July 2018.
You can see Sakitsu Catholic church in the center of this fishing village, the Statue of the Virgin Mary on the cliff.
The History of Sakitsu village
Sakitsu flourished as an important sea port for missionaries and merchants 450 years ago.
In 1569, the Jesuit Luis de Almeida established Christianity to Amakusa for the first time.
However, Christianity gradually began to be suppressed and to be prohibited.
Since the ban on Christianity in 1614, Christians practiced their faith in secret, known as Hidden Christians.
Without missionaries, Hidden Christians nurtured their own unique religious system and continued their practice from generation to generation.
- Time: 90 minutes
- Route: 2km course. We visit Sakitsu Catholic Church, Sakitsu Suwa Shrine, and Sakitsu Minatoya Museum.
- Price: Adult: JPY 3500/person, Children (8~15) : JPY 2000, Under 8 years old is free.
- 2 people is needed as minimum number for the tour to run. (If you want to attend by yourself, please contact us.)
- 10 people is max number for one tour.
Send us e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Credit card through Paypal / Cash
Tourist Information Center
1117-10 Kawauramachi Sakitsu, Amakusa-shi, Kumamoto-ken 863-1204
10 minutes before the tour begins.
-45 mins from Amakusa Airport
-2 hours 40 mins from Kumamoto city.
-Hondo bus sta. → Ichoda-Chuo → Sakitsu (Sanko Bus)
We require 2 days cancellation notice prior to your booking tour date, otherwise we will charge you cancellation fee as below.
- 2 days before the tour: We will return your total amount without paypal’s commission.
- The day before the tour : 50 % of your total amount will charged.
- The tour date: 100% of your total amount will be charged.
- We will refund all fee when a tour can not be conducted because of a bad weather, a bad traffic condition or cancellation by our side.
All we live in Amakusa and have knowledge of the culture and history of Amakusa.
If you are interested in other areas of Amakusa, we are welcome your contact.
National licensed English-speaking guide (Certification No. Kumamoto En00064)
Hobby : Sake ( rice wine ), Outdoor sports, travel
I love the nature of Amakusa. I am so glad to see you here in Amakusa. If you are interesting any other activities, please let me know.
Akane Honda (English)
Hi! I'm Akane Honda, I live in Amakusa. Amakusa is blessed with rich nature such as flesh fish, clear air, and kind people. I enjoy my life here.
*If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us by E-mail or FB message.
+81-90-8238-7134 Saki / English
+81-90-9652-5489 野﨑知美（Tomomi Nozaki) / Chinese